Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgey
The field of Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgey includes many vital structures: sensory organs such as hearing and balance, taste and smell, areas for respiration, swallowing, cheewing and facial expression. The neck includes the voice which is of vital importance for human communication.
Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery includes medical and surgical treatment options. Our field originally developed over 100 years ago as highly specialized surgery with our roots in general surgery.
Main responsibility: Göran Laurell, Professor
- Studies on Bell´s palsy (idiopathic facial nerve paralysis)
- Molecular radionuclide targeting of head and neck cancer
- Swallowing disorders and nutrition in patients with head and neck cance
- Exogenous hearing loss and otoprotectants preventing damage to hearing and balance
- Upper Respiratory Airways
- Mapping and characterization of inner ear fluid proteins (proteoms) and their significance for hearing.
- Protection and treatment of exogenous hearing loss
- Snoring and sleep apnea in women – Risk factors, signs and consequence
- EILO (Exercise induced laryngeal Obstruction)
- Cochlear Implants and Otology
- Anatomic studies of the Human Cochlea: Implications for Cochlear Implantation
- Molecular studies of the human ear
- Nanoparticle based inner ear therapy
- Studies on regeneration