History of X-ray in Uppsala
Short history from a Uppsala perspective
Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovered on November 8th 1895 rays, that when they passed through body tissue, produced pictures of mainly skeletal structures.
As early as February 1896 the first x-ray pictures in Uppsala were taken by Hjalmar Öhrwall and Knut Ångström. Two frogs and one rat were depicted.
Professor Fritiof Holmgren's hand. X-ray taken February 16th 1896. Exposure time was one hour.
On February 2nd 1897 a bullet from a pistol was surgically removed, by Professor Lennander, from the back of the head of a patient who was shot on the 8th of August 1895. The position had been located by X-ray examination on September 10th 1896, performed by Thor Stenbeck.
During the spring of 1898 the Faculty of Medicine granted funds to purchase a X-ray machine.
1901 W.C. Röntgen is awarded the first Nobel Prize.
1902 Gösta Forsell is appointed to run the first X-ray equipment at the hospital.
1903-04 the hospitals first X-ray department is established, consisting of two examination rooms.
In 1914 Hugo Laurell was appointed as Head of the Department and later, 1931, received a personal professorship.
The current department was created by Professor Herman Lodin. It was built in two stages 1971-1973 consisting of 35 clinical and 3 research laboratories.
The historic lectures of Professor Uno Erikson
A Swedish version of the page is available, click on “Denna sida på svenska” to the right on the top of this page.